Nothing beats a good serving of crispy fried chicken. Yes, nothing beats fried chicken that is unless what fried chicken is up against is Chicken Cordon Bleu. And this dish has Swiss cheese, parmesan and ham included as well. Chicken cordon bleu gets its name from France. From a French term for blue ribbon (denoting excellence). This dish actually stems from Switzerland. The base of this dish, the breaded chicken is commonly known around the world as schnitzel.
Wikipedia gives a description of veal or pork cordon bleu. It states it’s made of veal or pork pounded thin and wrapped around a slice of ham. Then added a slice of cheese and breaded. Then finally pan-fried or baked. That does sound awesome. But this dish is a bit different from that. You will see when you read the ingredient list. And this dish is a fried one, not a baked one. In that case, it is a bit different. But does taste like a dream.
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 8 slices of ham
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 8 squares of swiss cheese
For the coating:
- Flour (as needed)
- 1 egg
- Bread crumbs (as needed)
- Oil (as needed)
For the cheese sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped finely)
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of milk
- ¼ cup of dijon mustard
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese (grated)
- Cling wrap
- A rolling pin
- Mixing bowls as needed
- A frying pan
- A pair of tongs
Process for Creamy Chicken:
- Take the chicken breasts and put them in a bowl and put them aside for now.
- Take 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of onion powder and put it in another small bowl, and mix it all up with a fork.
Step 3 :
- Take the bowl of chicken breasts and fold the above prepared bowl of seasoning on to it.
Step 4 :
- Now massage the seasoning into the chicken breasts. Continue for about a minute. Make sure it is all well covered. Use your fingers as they will get the job done the best.
- Now take the 8 squares of swiss cheese and 8 slices of ham that you have sliced and prepared. When you slice them remember to do them very thin. This is done so that when you roll it up and fry it the insides will cook nicely and evenly.
- Take a piece of cling wrap and put one chicken breast on it.
Step 7 :
- Take another piece of cling wrap. Make sure that is the same size (roughly)
- Cover the seasoned chicken breast with the second cling wrap.
Step 9 :
- Take a rolling pin. Then beat your meat until it is as flat as it can possibly get. But the chicken breast should not start falling apart.
- Now do this to the rest of the chicken breasts.
- Set them aside and take one chicken breast.
- place the chicken breast on top of a piece of cling wrap.
Step 13 :
- take four squares of swiss cheese slices that you have prepared and place them over the breast covering it up.
- take the ham and repeat the above step.
- Again take another four slices of swiss cheese and ham. Then repeat the above-mentioned process.
- Now roll the whole thing up.
- now place it on top of a piece of plastic cling wrap and tightly cover it up.
Step 18 :
- put this on a baking tray and chill it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Step 19 :
- take the rolls out of the freezer.
- take the bowl of flour.
Step 21 :
- roll it in the flour.
Step 22 :
- take the egg wash.
- roll it and cover it in the egg wash.
- roll it in the bread crumbs.
- Put your frying oil into a pan. It should be deep enough. Then put that over the stove or the hotplate and bring the heat up. Keep an eye on the heat. It’s to make sure the oil is not too hot. Because that will result in the chicken getting overcooked or even burnt on the outside. But it will not be cooked on the inside at all.
Step 26 :
- And if the oil is not hot enough that will simply not cook the chicken the desired way and too much of the oil will seep through to the insides of the meat.
- Make sure the oil is all heated up. Then take the chicken pieces out of the bowl one by one. After that proceed with the next step.
Step 28 :
- Now take each piece. Then gently place it in the oil. Please be careful not to splatter any hot oil on yourself while doing so.
Step 29 :
- Make sure to not overcrowd the pan. This is because overcrowding will decrease the heat of the oil. In addition the chicken will not cook evenly. Be patient.
Step 30 :
- Take a pair of tongs and turn the pieces in the pan as necessary.
- After a while, the chicken pieces get golden brown. In addition, they have been in the frying pan for a desirable amount of time. You can now take them out of the pan and set them on a clean paper towel. This will make the excess oil drain into the said paper towel.
- Repeat the process of the above last few steps. This should be repeated for all of the remaining pieces of chicken rolls.
- For the cheese sauce take the following ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons of butter,
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped finely),
- 3 tablespoons of flour,
- 2 cups of milk,
- ¼ cup of dijon mustard,
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese (grated) and Salt for taste.
- Take the above ingredients.
- put them in a pan over medium heat.
- Take a whisk.
Step 36 :
- whisk away any lumps using the whisk and bring the sauce up to a simmer.
- Take the pan off of the stove and cool it down to a moderate temperature.
Step 38 :
- Take the fried chicken
- Cut it up to smaller portions
- pour the cheese sauce over the chicken and serve! Creamy Chicken Cordon Bleu is a great dish. It would go with a steamed side of vegetables such as carrots, asparagus. It goes well with a side of stir fried vegetables as well. In addition broccoli is fabulous with this particular dish. Have that with a cold beverage and you are good to go.
Follow Our Facebook Page – Click Here
Join Our Facebook Group – Click Here
Go and check my other articles – Click Here